Re: [PING] Please explain: wl-summary-resend-use-cache

At Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:35:03 -0500,
David Abrahams wrote:
> That description leaves me with all the same questions.  Let me try to
> bullet them:
>
> 1. What does it mean to "use the cache" to send a message when offline?
> 2. What does it mean to guarantee message identity?
>
> > I am not sure myself why message identity
> > is not guaranteed, presumably something is not stored in the cache
> > which is necessary to preserving the right Message-Id when resending a
> > bounced message.
>
> So your answer for #2 is that guaranteeing message identity means the
> resent message will have the same Message-ID as the original?
>
> And for #1?

1. If you are offline, then a cached version of the message (in
~/.elmo) will be used as the source of the message which is to be
resent. If you are online, the original message will be fetched from
the server.

2. Yes, I believe this is what it means, but I am not certain. The
code does not enlighten in this case:

	(insert
	 ;; elmo-message-fetch is erase current buffer before fetch message
	 (elmo-message-fetch-string folder number
				    (if wl-summary-resend-use-cache
					(elmo-make-fetch-strategy
					 'entire 'maybe nil
					 (elmo-file-cache-get-path
					  (elmo-message-field
					   folder number 'message-id)))
				      (elmo-make-fetch-strategy 'entire))
				    'unread))

You would need a greater understanding of the behavior of WL/elmo to
know why ‘message identity is not guaranteed’ when the cache is used.
I presume that certain combinations of protocols and settings could
cause trouble.

best,
Erik