Re: [PING] Please explain: wl-summary-resend-use-cache

At Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:59:10 -0800,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> At Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:35:03 -0500,
> David Abrahams wrote:
> > That description leaves me with all the same questions.  Let me try to
> > bullet them:
> >
> > 1. What does it mean to "use the cache" to send a message when offline?
> > 2. What does it mean to guarantee message identity?
> >
> > > I am not sure myself why message identity
> > > is not guaranteed, presumably something is not stored in the cache
> > > which is necessary to preserving the right Message-Id when resending a
> > > bounced message.
> >
> > So your answer for #2 is that guaranteeing message identity means the
> > resent message will have the same Message-ID as the original?
> >
> > And for #1?
>
> 1. If you are offline, then a cached version of the message (in
> ~/.elmo) will be used as the source of the message which is to be
> resent. If you are online, the original message will be fetched from
> the server.

Even if you already have it right there in your cache?  If so, I can't
understand the reason for it.  That would be like fetching from the
server on replying to a message that you're currently viewing.

> 2. Yes, I believe this is what it means, but I am not certain. The
> code does not enlighten in this case:
>
> 	(insert
> 	 ;; elmo-message-fetch is erase current buffer before fetch message
> 	 (elmo-message-fetch-string folder number
> 				    (if wl-summary-resend-use-cache
> 					(elmo-make-fetch-strategy
> 					 'entire 'maybe nil
> 					 (elmo-file-cache-get-path
> 					  (elmo-message-field
> 					   folder number 'message-id)))
> 				      (elmo-make-fetch-strategy 'entire))
> 				    'unread))
>

> You would need a greater understanding of the behavior of WL/elmo to
> know why ‘message identity is not guaranteed’ when the cache is used.
> I presume that certain combinations of protocols and settings could
> cause trouble.

Thanks for your detailed replies, Erik.  Is it normal that the WL
authors (who surely know the correct answers to such questions) don't
reply and instead leave us guessing?

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing