Re: Compose using message-mail?

At Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:57:32 +0100,
Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:

> At Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:00:03 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> > Why does WL have its own composition mode?
>
> WL doesn't have its own composition mode, it uses SEMI.

Yeah, and what else uses SEMI?  If nothing else really does, it's
actually WL's composition mode.  But maybe I should ask the question
differently.  Why are there two different packages in this MIME
composition-and-display space?  I guess because the other one is part
of Gnus?  That makes Gnus the offender, I suppose.

> > I find it problematic:
> > 0. Duplicated functionality has a high maintenance cost
> > 1. I'm not used to the keybindings (solvable)
> > 2. It has a highlighting bug
>
> Yes, highlighting is buggy. You can press C-l to refresh colors ;)

Thanks, good to know.

> > The specific highlighting bug is that if I put the cursor in the middle
> > of a cited line, e.g.
> >
> >   > foo bar baz
> >            ^--- here
> >
> > hit return, and start typing (as I often do when I need to respond to
> > specific points in a post), the new text gets highlighted as though it
> > was part of the citation, even though its lines don't start with `>'.
>
> > Is there a way to get WL to use message-mail for composition?
>
> Since WL relies on SEMI, I think, it is possible just to prepare
> buffer for custom composer and retrieve it back. I don't know yet,
> where to patch WL, but this should be easy.

Hm, something to look at, thanks.  I find the MIME stuff in WL much
harder to use than Gnus'... although Gnus doesn't let you fetch
partial messages, which is a liability.  Here's my current list of
questions:

* Why does it automatically retrieve all the little pix in a message
  containinig a bunch of pix, without asking first?

* Why can't I see the jpg image in
  [[...][this message]]?

* Why are the jpg images not even separately accessible in
  [[...][this message]]?

* What are all [[info:mime-ui-en:enclosure%20tags][these]] multipart/*
  options?

* How can I get it to show me the multipart/related parts of
  [[...][this message]]?
  That's where the pictures are (embedded in HTML?)

* Why don't the pjpeg images
  display inline automatically?

* Why don't the jpeg images
  [[...][here]] display inline automatically?

* How can I get it not to insert mime cruft in replies?
    e.g. [1  <text/plain; windows-1252 (quoted-printable)>]

* What is the mime-situation-examples-file supposed to contain?

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing