Re: not downloading mail after initial setup

At Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:13:01 -0400,
Chris Beard wrote:

> Hello,
> I believe my earlier problem with loading WL is fixed, but now when I
> load WL from M-x wl, it asks for my gmail password. When I first gave
> it the password, it said I had missing folders (presumably ones that I
> specified in my .emacs) and asked if I wanted it to make them. I said
> yes to the folders, and now when I open WL, it takes me to a "Folder"
> buffer that lists several folders with icons:

> […]

> It seems like I missed something pretty basic in the setup, but I
> haven't been able to find the problem or solution online. One possible
> problem that I saw after running make on WL was a couple of entries:
>
> gnus-mime-setup is not found.
> emh-setup is not found.
>
> but since it continued and started up fine, I assumed these wouldn't
> indicate anything problematic. On a final note, I'm running Aquamacs
> (a Mac OS variant) that's based on GNU Emacs 22.3.1.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Chris -

I had a quick look at that web page [1]. One comment: WL has its own
folder manager for dealing with your ~/.folders file. Generally you
should use this to edit it, because this avoids simple syntax errors.

Just for the record, and for the archives. Servers, ports, usernames,
etc. can be set up in two different ways on WL. Either you can specify
them in the folder or you can set defaults. So you can either have:

  (setq elmo-imap4-default-authenticate-type 'clear)
  (setq elmo-imap4-default-port '993)
  (setq elmo-imap4-default-server "imap.gmail.com")
  (setq elmo-imap4-default-stream-type 'ssl)
  (setq elmo-imap4-default-user "me")

with the folder:

  %INBOX

or you can use the folder:

  %INBOX:me/clear@imap.gmail.com:993!
         |  |     |              |  `stream-type
         |  |     |              `port
         |  |     `server
         |  `authenticate-type
         `user

In my experience the best option is usually to leave the
elmo-imap4-default-* variables alone & simply use the folder
definition to set the parameters. Otherwise you are dealing with the
interaction between the folder def and the values of variables, which
I find confusing.

My second advice is to add an access group, which will be
automatically populated with all folders from your IMAP server. In
your case, with the elmo-imap4-default-* you have set up, you should
try the command:

  m A %:

in your Folders buffer. If that doesn’t work, the full access group
def should be:

  %:me/clear@imap.gmail.com:993!

Hope that helps.

best,