Re: Wanderlust & Gmail Archive

Hi Pete -

Welcome to the Wanderlust mailing list!

At Mon, 24 May 2010 11:26:28 +0100,
Pete Phillips wrote:
> Morning all.
>
> I started using wanderlust last week after using MH/mh-e for 15 years
> or more.  the reason I have moved is that I have decided to keep my
> mail spool on gmail where I can access it on my Android phone,
> netbook, etc, and actually process mail on those other devices and not
> just on my mail-spool machine.
>
> I am looking for a way to move emails out of my Inbox once
> processed. In the Gmail web app, you can click on the Archive button
> and it removes the mail from your inbox (or possibly removes the inbox
> label ?).
>
> Is there a way to get the same functionality with wanderlust ?  At the
> moment I have set up a folder in ~/.folders called All E-Mails as
> included below, but I'm sure there must be a better way to do this.

I’m not entirely sure what you are asking.

Technically, I believe that if you delete a message from your inbox
(in Gmail) via IMAP, it means that the inbox label is removed from
the message, but it is still available in your archive.

In order to actually delete a message in Gmail via IMAP, you need to
move it to the Trash folder.

If you like this solution, you could try it. That is, use `d` to
delete a message, which removes it from the Inbox but keeps it in the
archive.

Myself I prefer to keep the semantics of dispose and use `d` to move a
message to the Trash, by setting:

  (setq wl-dispose-folder-alist
    '(("^.*imap.gmail.com.*$" . "%[Gmail]/Trash:me/clear@imap.gmail.com:993!")))

To ‘archive’ a message, I use `o` to refile to a label folder.
Generally I assign a label to all messages, so I never have to refile
to the awkward [Gmail]/All mail folder.

If you want to refile explicitly to the All mail folder, WL generally
remembers refile locations, so once you refile a few messages it will
give you the All mail folder by default.

You could also look at the definition of wl-refile-rule-alist, and the
Summary Mode/Auto Refile section of the manual. You could use this to
automatically refile all unflagged messages to All mail.

best, Erik