Re: HOWTO Read feeds in Wanderlust

At Tue, 25 May 2010 14:48:42 +0200,
David Maus wrote:
> Nice one.  I've tried rss2email but finally decided not to use it but
> Wanderlust's Shimbun folders instead.  The only disadvantage is that
> it takes some time to fetch all the feeds from their sources.

Thanks. Let me know if you think there are other advantages to the
Shimbun approach.

At Tue, 25 May 2010 13:23:21 +0100,
Simon Brown wrote:
> How does this compare to the Shimbun approach?
>
> I'm still using Liferea for feeds and emacs lack of full web browser
> probably means I'll stay there.

I have not used shimbun, so take my reply with a grain of salt.

Advantages to rss2email approach:

1) Uses Python Universal Feed Parser [1], well known for parsing the
ugliest feeds around, including all RSS & Atom versions. I have used
it myself to parse about 300 feeds & had one problem, which I have
fixed. I suspect that Shimbum is not able to parse so many feeds.

2) Processing happens offline. You still need to wait for WL at times,
but no more than you would for a large sized mailbox.

3) Uses html2text for building text messages. It generates what seem
to me very nice, clean text which looks more like email than that
generated by w3m. For instance, blockquoting starts each line with
“> ”.

4) Can send text and HTML mail. I use plaintext, but if you like to
get HTML too you can.

5) Feeds can be read together in one large mailbox. I am not sure if
this is possible with Shimbun without defining a huge multi folder.

I think (1) and (2) are the real advantages.

Advantages to Shimbum: 100% Emacs is nice, does not require a cron
job. Probably others.

best, Erik

1. http://www.feedparser.org/