Re: Search folders

Simon Brown wrote:
>At Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:14:38 +0100,
>Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> What specifically would you like to be able to do?  Maybe we can help
>> with a specific example.
>Well, I understand that there are many indexing options: namazu,
>mairix, xaipan and mu at least. Comments on the relative benefits and
>how you keep the index up to date would be useful.

1/ I use namazu to index almost everything on my local computer: Email
archives (personal and some mailing list archives), digital documents
(essays, articles, books, rfcs, personal) and website mirrors.

The main benefit of using namazu is to have a single interface[1] to
query for information, in case I need to.  The indices are kept up to
date by a simple script, run as cronjob every night.

,----[ update-namazu ]
| #!/bin/zsh
| ##
| ## Update namazu search indices
| ##
|
| CONTENT=(
|     "/home/dmaus/mail"
|     "/home/dmaus/docs"
|     "/mnt/documents/rfcs"
|     "/mnt/documents/bucket"
|     "/mnt/documents/mirror"
|     "/mnt/documents/studium"
|     "/mnt/documents/zotero")
|
| for c in $CONTENT
| do
|     idx="${c:h}/.namazu_${c:t}_index"
|     [[ ! -e "$idx" ]] && mkdir "$idx"
|     echo "Update index for ${c}, ${idx}"
|     mknmz -O "$idx" "$c" # 1>/dev/null
| done
`----

2/ I do not, however, index .elmo/cache -- messages that pour in my
inbox and contain meaningful information are referenced by storing an
entry with Org mode[2].  Namazu comes into play when I have to search
the archive.  Either because I want to retrieve new information or
because a reference I had stored using Org mode is broken[3].

>Then once the index has been created how do you actually search using
>it. "m a" every time?

To search from inside WL I use g - goto folder, but most of the time I
use namazu.el (M-x namazu).

HTH
  -- David

[1] namazu.el

[2] http://orgmode.org/

[3] Messages move from Inbox to archive after 180 days; thus a link
stored to the message in Inbox is broken -- Org mode allows to open a
Wanderlust link by searching a namazu index for a particular
message-id.