Re: Help! wl is hanging when opening the inbox

At Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:40:38 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:

> Well, I was about to say it was working again this morning, but now it's
> hanging a different way: "Opening STARTTLS connection to '.....'" Normally
> that takes just a couple of seconds, but it's been stuck there for the last
> five minutes.
>
> So I guess now it's worth asking -- does a later version of wl improve
> network handling? I'm using wl-beta currently. It's the biggest weakness I
> see: everything is synchronous, and if something goes wrong in the network
> layer, there is no way to recover except to kill Emacs. Less than robust.
>
> If this is handled better in git head, I'll have a crack at building my own.
>
> Oh, and... because it hung before I could save the folder state, I now have
> to reload my entire inbox a second time this morning (3500 messages). :)
>
> It's quite puzzling. I haven't applied any system updates -- literally, wl
> was working perfectly last night and just suddenly broke when updating the
> inbox. Maybe Gmail changed something? I don't know.

M-t is often your friend.

That is, when I have network troubles, I use M-t M-t to reset all
network connections.

Furthermore, if on a slow wireless connection, I prefetch messages
(see [1]), use M-t to unplug, read mail, then when I am ready, use M-t
to flush all changes to the servers. This gets around the synchronous
nature of WL.

As an aside, I have needed to kill emacs because of WL hardly ever.
Do you try C-g to interrupt what emacs is doing?

Also, gmail’s IMAP is pretty slow, in my experience.

best, Erik

1. http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WlFaq#toc5