Re: wanderlust can't post messages on gmail

At Thu, 3 Mar 2011 04:50:44 +0000,
Joe Corneli wrote:

> Update: I can't send mail with smtpmail-send-it either,
>
> I get this message in the smtpmail debugging buffer:
>
> Cannot connect to smtp.gmail.com:587: Connection refused
> Resolving 'smtp.gmail.com'...
> Connecting to '209.85.143.109:587'...
>
> Process SMTP exited abnormally with code 1

What happens if you try:

$ telnet smtp.gmail.com 587

I get something like this:

Trying 209.85.143.109...
Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP w25sm748046wbd.5

If you get "connection refused" then it's probably a firewall issue
and you need to ask your sysadmin to open up port 587.

> This is in response to an Emacs started with the following code, then
> C-x m bla bla C-c C-c.
>
> This should work, right?
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>       '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
>       smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>       smtpmail-debug-info t)
> (require 'smtpmail)
>
> (setq user-mail-address "holtzermann17@gmail.com")

Does your .autoinfo file definitely contain the right information?
Including the port? See http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusAuthinfo
for details.

Best,
Richard