how to avoid or optimize slow folder updates

Hi,

now and then it happens that when I switch to my example folder I get
a 'Creating msgdb' message that takes a while to complete. Okay, it
must be doing something that needs to be done at some point. But later
on I come back to the same example folder and the same action takes
place again with the same slowness than the first time. What exactly is
going on? Why is that every time it takes a long time to complete?

thanks,
 Rodrigo

Checking folder diff...done
Too many messages(1594) in .~/maildir/example.  Update all? (y or n)
Creating msgdb...done
Inserting message...done
Updating marks...
Scoring...done
Updated (-1587/+1594) message(s).
Folder `.~/maildir/example' is now sticky.
Updated (-1587/+1594) message(s)