Re: how to avoid or optimize slow folder updates

At Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:29:56 -0400,
Rodrigo Amestica wrote:

> Hi,
>
> now and then it happens that when I switch to my example folder I get
> a 'Creating msgdb' message that takes a while to complete. Okay, it
> must be doing something that needs to be done at some point. But later
> on I come back to the same example folder and the same action takes
> place again with the same slowness than the first time. What exactly is
> going on? Why is that every time it takes a long time to complete?
>
> thanks,
>  Rodrigo

> Checking folder diff...done
> Too many messages(1594) in .~/maildir/example.  Update all? (y or n)
> Creating msgdb...done
> Inserting message...done
> Updating marks...
> Scoring...done
> Updated (-1587/+1594) message(s).
> Folder `.~/maildir/example' is now sticky.
> Updated (-1587/+1594) message(s)

Hi Rodrigo,

In my experience if you do not make all your summary buffers sticky,
WL can spend a lot of time rebuilding the msgdb as you switch between
folders. You might try setting:

  (setq wl-summary-always-sticky-folder-list t)

But this is really just a guess. From your log above it looks like you
have set example sticky, so I could very well be wrong here.

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.