Is Emacs < 22 still in use with Wanderlust?

WL still runs on GNU Emacs 20, which is awesome. I couldn't get Emacs
19 compiled and WL does definitely not run on GNU Emacs 18 because of
the new style backquotes. It doesn't run on XEmacs 21.4 due to a
compatibility problem with a menu-bar declaration, couldn't get XEmacs
21.5 installed in a usable way.

Timeline of GNU Emacs major releases according to Wikipedia:

Emacs 19.28 - 1994-11-01
Emacs 20.1  - 1997-09-17
Emacs 21.1  - 2001-10-20
Emacs 22.1  - 2007-06-02
Emacs 23.1  - 2009-07-29

Why to draw a line?
===================

WL and the required libraries got a little dusty over the years. Some
features have been integrated into GNU Emacs core, some features
depend on old versions of other libraries that conflict with more
recent versions (e.g. SMIME or dependency on PGG). Some conflicts, but
not all, can be resolved by adjusting the load path.

The environment for maintaining APEL, and SEMI is .. not there
anymore. Since ~September 2010 messages I send to APEL or SEMI
mailinglist are not delivered.

,----
| <spfa@m17n.jp> (expanded from <emacs-mime-en-ctl@m17n.org>): Host or domain
|     name not found. Name service error for name=m17n.jp type=A: Host not found
`----

Where to draw the line?
=======================

From the perspective of reducing dependencies, Emacs 22 looks like the
most promising release. A lot of functions from FLIM have been
incorporated into Emacs22 and with a tiny exception APEL stopped at
Emacs21 to provide the portable environment.

Of course, if anyone still uses GNU Emacs 21 for a reason, Emacs 21
could be the line. For now I think it is important to just draw the
line.

Best,
  -- David
--