Re: PGG incompatibility issue of SEMI (was Re: Somebody needs to (require 'pgg))

At Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:40:13 +0900,
Kazuhiro Ito wrote:

> SEMI's pgg-def.el (semi-1_14 and semi-1_14-wl branch) has the
> definition of `pgg-decrypt-automatically' variable.  It is SEMI
> specific.  But PGG is independent library and contained by other
> packages and Emacs itself.  If other pgg-def.el is loaded instead of
> SEMI's one, it causes a problem (*1).
>
> (*1) http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.wanderlust.general.japanese/8651
>
> Because 1) only mime-display-multipart/pgp-encrypted() in mime-pgp.el
> requires this variable, 2) this variable only affects SEMI's behavior,
> 3) it is less problematic to keep PGG to be original, I think this
> definition should be moved to other SEMI specific file.
>
> Please see the attached patch.  I think it would be better that the
> name of the variable is changed.  But this requires to change of
> Wanderlust, therefore I keep the patch to contain only minimum change.

The patch is okay.

Renaming the variable would be better, indee. Ideally we could rename
it, use the renamed version in mime-pgp.el and declare the new name a
variable alias for pgg-decrypt-automatically (i.e. defvaralias).

Problem with this solution: It would break backward compatibility with
Emacs < 22 because Emacs 21 does not have a defvaralias function built
in.

Best,
  -- David
--