Re: Important marks don't seem to be synced on IMAP folders

Hi David,

Thank you for looking into this!

At Tue, 26 Jul 2011 05:44:04 +0200,
David Maus wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Finally got my head around this issue.
>
> Yes! Union, that was what I tried to express by overlay. If you
> connect to an IMAP mailbox WL updates the flag folder with the union
> of flag folder and server flags. If C is the flag folder of the client
> and S is the server we can say:
>
> C <- S ∪ C
>
> Not removing flags in C if they are removed in S is therefor not a
> bug, but the intended behavior.

This is also how I understand it.

> Just to make the terminology clear: We are not talking about the
> message db, but another type of folder, the flag folder.

I thought that the flag folder was just an easy way of looking at all
your messages with a given flag, but I see that you are right.

> The desired behavior here is
>
> C <- S
>
> This makes perfect sense for folders that support user defined
> keywords, i.e. IMAP. I've created a branch on Github
>
> https://github.com/dmj/wanderlust/tree/feature/sync-marks-s-to-c
>
> Where I factored out the merging into a separate generic function
> `elmo-folder-merge-flagged' and a default method with the current
> union merge. Now we can write a specialized method for IMAP folders
> and implement union -or- s-to-c depending on an IMAP specific
> configuration variable.

I have evaled this version of elmo.el, but I cannot get it to work
when I test it on 2 different machines. I will need to try a clean
checkout of your branch.

> A rough scetch.
>
> 1. Check if IMAP server supports permanent flags
>
> […]

This sounds perfect! I like prompting the user, it is the right thing
to do.

> When disconnected WL creates an IMAP flag commend as disconnected
> operation and pushes it in the disconnected operations queue. If you
> go online again WL flushes the queue before marks are sync.

Thanks!

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.