Attachments not attaching.

Hello

Hoping someone can help me on this issue.
I'm very happy with Wanderlust thus far but have come across a problem.
I can't seem to attach files to an email.  I've tried with a pdf file
and a jpg file and get the same results.
The message, when it arrives, have a '0' byte attachment of the right
name etc but of course, its 0 bytes.
Here's what I do with a jpg file for example:
C-c C-x TAB which prompts me for a file. I name the file and then am prompted for:
image RET jpeg RET and base24 RET.
The imagemagick opens on the file I want to attach.
Don't know what to do at this point so I close the program.
In the body of my email is added:

JPEG image