Re: Drafts not being cleaned up

At Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:47:58 +0200,
Sebastian Hofer wrote:

> > Not removing old autosaves can be a side-effect of WLs draft-save
> > mechanism possibly in combination with the outstanding bug:
> >

> first of all, thanks for the extensive answer! I should have mentioned that
> I'm experiencing these problems with a maildir setup. Do above
> considerations apply there to? Actually I'm using IMAP and maildir in
> parallel, but drafts should be saved to the maildir directly.

All things said only apply to IMAP draft folders. I use a Maildir
folder for drafts, too -- but there were only 4 stale autosaves in my
Maildir draft folder whose subject indiciated that they were
testmails. I.e. quite likely that the autosaves endet up there because
I was fiddling with WL.

I tried to reproduce the problem by switching back to regular WL (CVS
trunk / master@wanderlust/wanderlust) but no luck: Autosaves are
properly deleted and saved drafts properly marked as read.

Autosaves piling up in a Maildir folder could indicate a problem with
the maildir /location map/. WL tracks messages in Maildir with the
help of a data structure located in

~/.elmo/maildir/<maildirfolder>/location

Not sure how to give advice on debugging this issue; If you can
reliably reproduce the problem it might be worth purging the draft
folder, removing ~/.elmo/maildir/<maildirfolder>/ and watch the
location map and the maildir folder.

> Regarding the 'official repositories': Can you explain what's the
> main differences between wanderlust/wanderlust and your fork?  I've
> been wondering for a while which of the repositories is the best to
> use...

dmj/wanderlust is not a fork of Wanderlust but a development
repository[1]. Github unfortunately calls clones of repository `forks'
which gives the wrong impression that forking is mere a one-click
technical process.

That said, the `heimkehr' branch is a branch in a development
repository of WL that combines some new features of WL that have not
been integrated into WL yet. The special thing about `heimkehr' is,
that I use this branch in my day-to-day work so there's a strong
incentive for me to keep this branch working.

And that is the main difference: dmj/wanderlust and especially
`heimkehr' is the place where I put new features and/or improvements
to WL. Whether or not these improvements/features are integrated in
wanderlust/wanderlust is a up to the Wanderlust maintainer (Yuuichi
Teranishi, who has been virtually absent for some time) or the WL
community (whose existence sometimes is doubtful to me).

I intend to push bugfixes to wanderlust/wanderlust but I am aware of
the fact that the more things end up in `heimkehr', the harder it gets
to port bugfixes back to wanderlust/wanderlust (takes an extra-effort
to check if a bug was introduced by me or is present in the main WL
branch).

Which one you use is up to you: Stick with wanderlust/wanderlust if
you need a stable system that just works. Switch to dmj/wanderlust
heimkehr if you are interested in new features or improvements and can
life with the risk that a git pull might break things (ofc going back
to a previous commit is dead-simple in Git).

These things are currently in heimkehr:

 - improved IMAP search
 - fix for outstanding bug STATUS on SELECTed mailbox + proper draft
   save mechanism for IMAP draft folders
 - syncing server flags
   <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.wanderlust.general.japanese/8606>

Best,