Re: Slow NNTP folders

At Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:11:47 +0100,
Francesco Mazzoli wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> At Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:55:14 +0200,
> David Maus wrote:
> > As far as I am aware there haven't been improvements to WL's NNTP
> > module after the version bump to 2.15.9.
> >
> > I can confirm that NNTP is not-so-fast (compared with IMAP) but I
> > don't get delays in minutes. I profiled then opening of
> > gmane.emacs.help and got the following:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > How many total messages are in your NNTP folder of emacs-devel?
>
> Well, I have all 84713 messages that are in gmane.emacs.help...  devel is even
> worse (151235).
>
> Is it "good practice" to delete messages in NNTP folder?  I'd like to keep it as
> a full archive of the mailing lists I read...

The problem is, that NNTP is not really a way to /archive/
messages. They still reside on the remote server.

IIRC the NNTP message numbers are not persistent. Hence WL syncs
really all messages it knows about with the remote NNTP server.

To get an archive of NNTP groups (e.g. wl and wl-en) I used a NNTP
client script that converted the entire group in a Maildir (or mbox,
can't remember).

You might try to seperate the two tasks: Reading the group and
archiving the group. Just a vague idea:

 - define a criteria (e.g. `older than N days')
 - copy the messages that match the criteria to a local folder
 - add the numbers of the copied message to WLs kill-list for the
   respective folder

This way you keep the folder small and fast, and have an archive in
case you need to look up things in the future.

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6