Re: Slow NNTP folders

Hi David,

At Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:24:28 +0200,
David Maus wrote:
> The problem is, that NNTP is not really a way to /archive/
> messages. They still reside on the remote server.
>
> IIRC the NNTP message numbers are not persistent. Hence WL syncs
> really all messages it knows about with the remote NNTP server.
>
> To get an archive of NNTP groups (e.g. wl and wl-en) I used a NNTP
> client script that converted the entire group in a Maildir (or mbox,
> can't remember).
>
> You might try to seperate the two tasks: Reading the group and
> archiving the group. Just a vague idea:
>
>  - define a criteria (e.g. `older than N days')
>  - copy the messages that match the criteria to a local folder
>  - add the numbers of the copied message to WLs kill-list for the
>    respective folder
>
> This way you keep the folder small and fast, and have an archive in
> case you need to look up things in the future.

Thanks for the answer, I might try your approach if I get tired of waiting :).

However, I'm not convinced that the client can do nothing about this.  I have
thunderbird as NNTP client and it definitely wasn't that slow.  Maybe it does
something similar to what you described automatically, but I don't see why
Wanderlust shouldn't do that.

What about gnus?  Is it that slow as well?

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt