Re: Slow NNTP folders

At Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:37:34 +0100,
Francesco Mazzoli wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> At Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:24:28 +0200,
> David Maus wrote:
> > The problem is, that NNTP is not really a way to /archive/
> > messages. They still reside on the remote server.
> >
> > IIRC the NNTP message numbers are not persistent. Hence WL syncs
> > really all messages it knows about with the remote NNTP server.
> >
> > To get an archive of NNTP groups (e.g. wl and wl-en) I used a NNTP
> > client script that converted the entire group in a Maildir (or mbox,
> > can't remember).
> >
> > You might try to seperate the two tasks: Reading the group and
> > archiving the group. Just a vague idea:
> >
> >  - define a criteria (e.g. `older than N days')
> >  - copy the messages that match the criteria to a local folder
> >  - add the numbers of the copied message to WLs kill-list for the
> >    respective folder
> >
> > This way you keep the folder small and fast, and have an archive in
> > case you need to look up things in the future.
>
> Thanks for the answer, I might try your approach if I get tired of waiting :).
>
> However, I'm not convinced that the client can do nothing about this.  I have
> thunderbird as NNTP client and it definitely wasn't that slow.  Maybe it does
> something similar to what you described automatically, but I don't see why
> Wanderlust shouldn't do that.
>
> What about gnus?  Is it that slow as well?

Don't know about Gnus. What might give us some insights in Thunderbird
(or Gnus) would be if someone could run TB and/or Gnus and record the
communication between program and server.

For TB there's a small tutorial about how to enable logging:

<https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging>

Best,
  -- David
--