Re: SMTP port specification

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:44:27 -0500
Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:

> Herbert, thank you for your helpful reply, for indeed there was a typo
> in the server name. My SMTP server is simply historicalmaterialism.info.
>
> I changed the line to:
>
>    wl-smtp-posting-server "historicalMaterialism.info"
>
> Unfortunately, this generates a new error:
>
>   Lisp error: (file-error "make client process failed" "connection refused"
>     :name "SMTP"
>     :buffer #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to historicalMaterialism.info*>
>     :host "historicalMaterialism.info"
>     :service 587)
>     signal(file-error ("make client process failed" "connection refused"
>     :name "SMTP" :buffer #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to
>     historicalMaterialism.info*> :host "historicalMaterialism.info"
>     :service 587))

% telnet historicalMaterialism.info 587
Trying 216.239.138.216...
telnet: connect to address 216.239.138.216: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

I think you want 'mail.historicalMaterialism.info':

% telnet mail.historicalMaterialism.info 587
Trying 216.239.128.27...
Connected to mail.historicalMaterialism.info.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 relay.omnis.com ESMTP Postfix - (mail-hub-b.omnis.com)
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

> Where does wl get the SMTP password? I assume the .elmo/passwd
> file is only for IMAP/POP.

Wl will ask for a password if it doesn't find valid login
information. You can store the password with 'M-x
elmo-passwd-alist-save' after connecting successfully.

I have added the below line to my ~/.wl:

(setq elmo-passwd-alist-file-name "passwd.gpg")

In this case the file is encrypted with gpg.

> Is wl using exim4?

No.

--
Herbert