Installing wanderlust on Ubuntu 13.04

Hi.

I have wanderlust running on one linux system, and thought it would be
easy to get it installed on a different one running Ubuntu 13.04. But
no such luck. :-(

When I try to invoke wl, I get the error "Package pgg is obsolete!".

I got to this point by running:

% git clone https://github.com/wanderlust/apel.git
% git clone https://github.com/wanderlust/semi.git
% git clone https://github.com/wanderlust/flim.git
% git clone https://github.com/wanderlust/wanderlust.git
% git clone https://github.com/emacsmirror/w3m

I tested w3m from within emacs, and it seemed to work OK (i.e, it
loaded URLs)

I then tried invoking wl and got the error. This seems to be a known
problem of sorts in Ubuntu.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WlPgg says:

> The SEMI package ships with an out of date version of pgg which does
> not, for example, support gpg-agent. Unfortunately, at least on
> Ubuntu, this outdated PGG overrides the version shipped with Emacs
> 22.
>
> Fortunately, SEMI seems to work fine with a more up-to-date PGG. To
> use the more up-to-date version of PGG, simply delete all pgg*.elc?
> files shipped with SEMI.

But, the SEMI I installed via "git clone" above doesn't seem to have
included any pgg*.elc files. But /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/obsolete
does. So, I remove the "obsolete" directory from my load-path (I would
have to go ask someone to remove the individual files from
/usr/share.)

That got me past that error, but then I ran into:

"can't load wl-news".  I remember that problem from before and renamed
"wl-news.el.in" back to "wl-news.el".

But when I invoke wl now, I get:

  Symbol's value as variable is voide: wl-news-news-alist

And at this point I am at a loss.

Suggestions?

Thomas