Re: bbdb, encryption

Hello,

it has been a long time, I'm sorry for that.

David Maus wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I don't have many contacts that utilize GnuPG but for the ones I have
> I simply let SEMI decide about the key to use based on the recipient's
> mail address and make a deliberate decision whether to use encryption
> or not.
I think I found a problem with that. I try to send an encrypted mail
to 'foo <foo@a.b>' and the mail gets encrypted with the key belonging
to 'foo <bar@a.b>'. From above it looks like only the name is used for
key selection. That would be wrong of course. Hmm.

> Maintaining an association of contact and key id in the addressbook
> seems like unnecessary work to me because this association is already
> stored in the keyring (at least in my case).
I have the very minor use case that I have several keys with the same
uid and for them I want to choose which key to use.

> Auto-encrypting messages based on a flag in BBDD might look like a
> good idea on the first glance but in my experience it is not worth the
> trouble.
I'm not there yet, but I think I slowly come to the same conclusion ;).

Regards
hmw

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html