Re: Lost refiled messages

Hi Adam,

On Mon, 04 May 2015 08:53:19 -0700,
otaznik <otaznik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to recover lost messages refiled by using old rules.  I
> was forced to change login information to use quotes because it
> stopped working after one upgrade.  It's been going on for a few years
> before I noticed.

If I understand you correctly, you were refiling messages into a
folder spec that WL could not connect to. This should not have
happened; WL should error when it cannot connect to the server.

However, it can happen that WL will mistakenly think that a server is
temporarily unavailable (disconnected) when in fact it does not exist.

In this case WL will “queue” the save to the server it cannot connect
to, while immediately executing the delete from the server that it is
able to connect to. WL will retain these messages in a queue to be
refiled when the server is available, but if the server is unavailable
this can never happen.

I’m not sure the best way to recover from this scenario, but I have
come up with the following solution. If you eval the following code:

  (kill-new (elmo-folder-name-internal
    (elmo-dop-spool-folder
      (elmo-get-folder
        "%INBOX.FOLDER:user@domain.tld/login@mail.domain.tld:993!"))))

it will append to your kill ring a WL folder spec that you can add to
your folders list which might contain your missing messages, which you
can then copy to your email archive.

Hope that helps! I’m sorry this happened. It’s something that WL could
handle a lot better.

best, Erik
--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.