Re: Lost refiled messages

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:04 AM, Erik Hetzner <egh@e6h.org> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> On Mon, 04 May 2015 08:53:19 -0700,
> otaznik <otaznik@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am trying to recover lost messages refiled by using old rules.  I
> > was forced to change login information to use quotes because it
> > stopped working after one upgrade.  It's been going on for a few years
> > before I noticed.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you were refiling messages into a
> folder spec that WL could not connect to. This should not have
> happened; WL should error when it cannot connect to the server.
>
> However, it can happen that WL will mistakenly think that a server is
> temporarily unavailable (disconnected) when in fact it does not exist.
>
> In this case WL will “queue” the save to the server it cannot connect
> to, while immediately executing the delete from the server that it is
> able to connect to. WL will retain these messages in a queue to be
> refiled when the server is available, but if the server is unavailable
> this can never happen.
>
> I’m not sure the best way to recover from this scenario, but I have
> come up with the following solution. If you eval the following code:
>
>   (kill-new (elmo-folder-name-internal
>     (elmo-dop-spool-folder
>       (elmo-get-folder
>         "%INBOX.FOLDER:user@domain.tld/login@mail.domain.tld:993!"))))
>
> it will append to your kill ring a WL folder spec that you can add to
> your folders list which might contain your missing messages, which you
> can then copy to your email archive.
>
> Hope that helps! I’m sorry this happened. It’s something that WL could
> handle a lot better.

Thanks.  It added a folder but there was only one most recent e-mail.
As expected, it went away when I closed wanderlust.

I took the cached messages, put them into that spool directory, renamed
as integer numbers ordered by date and then refiled them into IMAP for
recovery.

Now I just have to fix refile rules to prevent this from happening again.

Regards,
Adam