Plan Re: [Fwd: Request for Advice on VGRS IDN Announcement]

As stated in my original note below, although it is the IAB's
job to put together the reply to ICANN, this seems to be a topic
that would benefit from broader input than just the IAB.  I'd
suggested involving the IESG; there have been other suggestions
for wider input.

Here's a proposal (and I missed the IESG call this week, where
I understand some of this was discussed -- this proposal therefore
doesn't completely reflect that and can be updated as appropriate):

	. I'd suggest Rob and/or Ted be the IAB token holder
	  on this effot
	. Patrik clearly has put thinking into this and
	  has the largest chunk of written text -- if this
	  overall plan seems to fit, I'd suggest Patrik work
	  with Rob/Ted to create a general technical document
	  on the subject
	. that document should see wider than IAB/IESG review
	  (well, we've been doing that with most IAB docs of
	  late)

Also, in discussion with Ted earlier in the week, it seemed
useful to suggest that a small group of IETF technical folk
(not strictly IAB/IESG folk, necessarily) talk informally
with VeriSign technical folk, so that the IETF can make a
statement based on what is actually being done (instead of trying
to guess from web pages etc).  This would be a fact-finding
discussion -- I wouldn't expect it to change peoples' minds, but I
do think it reflects better on us (the IETF) to have a statement
that clearly is based on facts, not inferences.

Proposed list of participants in, for example, a phone call:
	. Rob Austein
	. Harald Alvestrand
	. Steve Bellovin
	. Randy Bush
	. Patrik Faltstrom
	. Ted Hardie
	. Lars-Johan Liman

Kinds of things that could be made clearer in such a call is the
difference of behaviours that Harald observed in his note.

Because this is not specifically my area of competence, and because
I'm currently employed by VeriSign, it's my intention to stay involved
to the extent of ensuring that the IAB makes as clear and as
honest an IETF technical statement as it usually does on any topic, but
I'm not delving into the technical debate itself.

Thoughts?

Leslie.

Leslie Daigle wrote:

As expected, here is ICANN's request for input. I suggest
the IAB should work on putting together a reply and/or a
statement, with the help of interested IESG folk.

Leslie.