Re: Financials web page - absolutely last call

At 9:42 AM -0500 1/18/03, RJ Atkinson wrote:
On Friday, Jan 17, 2003, at 17:24 America/Montreal, Lynn St.Amour wrote:
  This supports:
       The RFC Editor  = $428,300
       The IETF Chair's discretionary funds = $73,748
       The expenses related to the IAB = $13,287
       Insurance = $20,000
Lynn,
Thanks much.

All,

It would help if a sentence or two could be written on the web page to describe
- Expenses related to IAB
- Insurance
- IETF Chair's discretionary funds

I assume that (1) means things like paying for teleconference calls
and IAB dinners, but random folks reading the web page won't have a clue.
It needs to be made more clear what kinds of things the funds are spent
upon.

And I assume that (2) is liability insurance for IAB/IESG folks that
is needed in the context of the standards process, but it would also
be good to make this very clear.

It would be pleasant if Harald gave examples of (3) things that the
discretionary funds have been spent upon, but that's entirely his call.

Generally, I'm pleased to see all the information go public. I do think
that it is VERY important to make descriptions of each item available
on the same web page. Random folks (e.g. newspaper reporters) are NOT
going to have any clues about what a lot of these line item entries are.

And it needs to be clear that IAB/IESG are not compensated in any way from
IETF funds or from ISoc funds, but instead are either self-funded or
employer-funded or what have you.

Finally, historic conversations with Marcia have indicated that the way hotels
work, we can't just cut expenses by cutting the IETF meeting food budget.
If I understood her several years ago (and if things haven't changed), then
hotels expect groups using meeting rooms to order some amount of food
as part of the room package. Someone might want to confirm the current
facts with her, then put a note up about this to forestall the inevitable
("just cut the food budget and redirect that money to foo") comments.
As the person who actually signs the contracts I can tell you that we are seeing more and more minimum dollar amounts for food consumption written into contracts. A few years ago, we were often able to placate hotel and remove the minimum requirement by telling them what we intended to order. Unless we contracting with a hotel we used recently and know the staff it is becoming very hard if not impossible to remove such clauses from hotel contracts. Hotels now want more than their room nights. They are being squeezed just like everyone else and because we occupy as many meeting rooms (sometimes it is the all the hotel has) as we do, the dollar value the meeting as a whole needs to meet some minimum. Food is part of that equation.

People should note that when we go to Europe or or the the Pacific Rim we not only pay for food but also meeting room rental. Such rental typically runs from about $120K to $220K. Price depends on the facility and the country.

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com
Al
--