Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-shah-extreme-eaps-05.txt

On Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003, at 17:56 America/Montreal, Bill Fenner wrote:
"send text".
The text already says

The second statment is used when "republishing" standards produced
by ... individual companies.

which seems to describe Ran's intent fairly precisely. Maybe the problem
is that the three statements to choose between precede the text that
describes their intent, so if you think you know the intent you might
skip the explanatory text?
(NB: I'll spin the I-D to use the second version of boilerplate in order
to make the IESG happy; will take a day or two of course to get the new
I-D through the system. :-)

That noted,

I selected option (3) because after reading RFC-2026, Section 10, it seemed
that such was sufficient for the purpose and was the best fit. After all, RFC-2026,
Section 10 is focused on IETF stuff and the publication of an individual-submission
that is unrelated to anything in the IETF ought not have to jump through a bunch of hoops
that are needed only for stuff originating with an IETF WG or destined for the IETF
standards-track. So my "mistake" was actually trying to be a good citizen and
actually read the RFC text and consider what it said before selecting a boilerplate.
Folks with nefarious intent no doubt would not actually try to read that text.

Perhaps my confusion was that I think of the RFC-Editor as being a separate
entity from the IETF and that now the RFC-Editor is de facto part of the IETF.
I used to think the two were separate, but maybe I was just confused. In this
regard, the boilerplate in question talks about limiting what rights the *IETF*
is granted, not about what rights the *RFC Editor* is granted. It was easy for me
to consider that one might not grant the IETF any rights other than to publish
as an I-D, whilst not so limiting the RFC Editor (which, again, I thought was
separate from, albeit cooperative with, the IETF). Sorry for my confusion on
that front.

The second boilerplate option requires that a proposed individual-submission RFC
that is not related to IETF work (e.g. the case here) agree to a lot of stuff in
RFC-2026 Section 10 that is not in any way relevant. For example, the actual
text of RFC-2026 Section 10.3.1.6 talks about "contributions" (to the IETF process),
when in fact the documents are not necessarily "contributions" to the *IETF* at all,
but rather might well be intended as information for the broader Internet community
(specifically not limited to or focused upon the IETF as a standards body) in the
RFC tradition dating back many many years before the existence of IPv4.

Note also that the text about the 3rd option talks specifically about
how documents in that mode cannot be used as the basis for any IETF WG
activity. Well, since we aren't (to my knowledge) targeting an IETF WG
but are instead making information available for the broader Internet community,
"can't be used as the basis for any IETF WG activity" sounds about right. Certainly
it is not Extreme's intent (as far as I know) to propose that IETF undertake any
sort of standards activity with regards to EAPS. I did talk the company into
making the information public, because I thought that this was a good thing
for the broader Internet community.

IMHO, a better approach would be either to edit the third choice to permit
RFC publication (subject to the usual processes for any individual submission),
OR create a 4th option which is identical to the 3rd option but also permitting
RFC publication (subject to the usual processes for any individual submission).

I'm definitely not the world's best editor, but maybe this means replace
"...publish as an internet-draft" with "...publish as an internet-draft or
publish as an RFC (if so requested and subject to normal RFC Editor processes)."
[edit to taste]

Yours,

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com