Re: Last Call: CR-LDP Extensions for ASON to Informational

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:08:32 EST, Eric Gray said:
>     I believe this concern is dealt with by the fact that there is an IETF
> official site and various similarly official reflectors.  If an error exist a
> an official site, the IETF community has a responsibility to point it out.

You know that, I know that, most of the IETF knows that.  However, unless
I'm severely confused (which is always possible), the prohibition against
derivative works came from the ITU side of the fence, which has often been
accused of Just Not Getting It (see its long-standing policy of charging for
copies of standards, etc).  The ITU is driven a lot more by politics and
lawyers than the IETF is, so the IETF-style "if we find a broken copy we'll
fix it and smack the offender upside the head" doesn't go over very well...

Remember, we're talking about the same cultural difference that lead to
MIME and X.400.....
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer