Re: Last Call: CR-LDP Extensions for ASON to Informational

the reason for copyrighting the standards produced by IETF is precisely
to simultaneously allow IETF to derive new standards documents from the
older ones and to have the ability to prohibit others from doing so without
specific authorization.

Vint

At 09:15 AM 1/24/2003 -0500, Scott Bradner wrote:
>> However, unless
>> I'm severely confused (which is always possible), the prohibition against
>> derivative works came from the ITU side of the fence,
>
>the prohibition is more not used all that often - two main cases where
>is is
>        1/ vendor work publish for the information of the community
>        2/ republishing a standard from another SDO
>
>just like we would not want the ITU "fixing" an IETF standard w/o our
>input it seems a reasonable desire to not have the IETF "fix" an ITU
>(or ETSI etc) standard w/o their involvement
>
>Scott

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology
WorldCom