Re: sole-sourceing IANA function to ICANN for next 3 years (fwd)

At 05:25 PM 2/4/2003 +1100, Geoff Huston wrote:
I'm not sure its a Hale and Dorr matter as much as one of opening a direct
dialogue with the contract officer at Commerce and her various masters and
overlords within that agency to at least understand their position and work
out how to proceed from there in terms of the interests of the IETF.
I'm with Ran and Randy. Let them do as they like. We set up a service that we trust and control, and use it. Tell them we are doing so, and let them come up with a set of reasons it is the wrong thing for us to do. As to the intellectual property issues, don't change the numbers; we haven't changed what they deem as their property, we simply aren't giving them any new property to dispute.

DOC can pay anyone they want to do nothing. As a taxpayer I have an issue, but not as the person having to deal with this.