Re: automating the network: the big picture...

I was also thinking about a slice through the problem...the minimal set of information a host needs to have in order to communicate on a network:

IP address
IP address of a router
IP address for DNS service
insertion of the device name and address in the DNS service
IP address through which other services can be found
(more?)

The idea here is to have a basis for the assessment of a protocol suite - for example, in IPv6, we don't really have a good story for some of the items in this list, yet.

Another slice at the problem is the infrastructure that must be provided by a network to support host configuration. I'm trying to have a framework in which to discuss the effects of new mechanisms that may simplify the job of the host at the expense of causing more work for the network infrastructure or of limiting the scale of the network infrastructure.

- Ralph