Re: Authentication and email

At 5:54 PM +0100 2/11/03, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
realistically....

in email, security is available whenever two users want it, have mail systems that implement it, and there is no bit-damaging component between them.
at the moment I can't send secure mail between my two mail readers (because I have not upgraded one of them with the optional-to-install security components).

and about 50% of the time I see PGP-signed mail, I get the "I don't trust this" beep, for one reason or another.
At the point where the IETF sets down a single interoperable standard for email security, this situation is likely to improve. It is even more likely to improve if that standard is not based on other standards that have known interoperability issues.

Realistically, that won't happen, but we can always hope. But we can learn the lessons from this debacle and try to not make the same mistakes with other IETF protocols.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium