Re: automating the network: the big picture...

--On tirsdag, februar 11, 2003 10:48:28 -0500 Rob Austein <sra@hactrn.net> wrote:

At Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:52:08 +0100 (CET), Erik Nordmark wrote:
I think there are some tradeoffs to take into account between e.g.
securing a single channel for configuration information (between the
client  and the DHCP server) with the DHCP server being a single point
of failure, and securing N channels to N entities providing
configuration information co-located with the actual service (with fate
sharing between the configuration entity and the sevice itself).
I'm sure there are other tradeoffs as well.
- Configuring vs reconfiguring: in the latter case given an adaquate
  caching scheme (and an adaquate implementation, grr), one is probably
  in a better position to keep going if the configuration system
  (whether monolithic or distributed) is on the blink.

- Single config protocol vs multiple config protocol: not the same
  thing as Erik's single point of failure vs co-location tradeoff, one
  could use a single protocol with the co-location model, so that
  one's toaster would only have to implement one config protocol
  (applies both to client toasters and server toasters).  Oh, right,
  this is supposed to be a tradeoff, well, I suppose that having N
  separate protocols to do the same thing is good for the economy :).
in the case where I have a DHCP server controlled by someone-not-me (some ISPs seem to want to run DHCP for their customers, for some reason), having a separate mechanism for configuring stuff the DHCP server's owner doesn't care about seems like a Good Idea.

also, if my OS doesn't provide APIs to get at info the DHCP server chose to tell the OS at network-init time, having a non-DHCP mechanism to get at that config info seems like a Good Idea.

both are examples of config entities probably not being fate-sharing, but I just wanted to make sure we don't lemming too fast over the "DHCP for everything" cliff.

(verbing weirds the language)

Harald