Re: automating the network: the big picture...

--On tirsdag, februar 18, 2003 09:05:36 -0800 James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com> wrote:

I like this categorization, but have one question:

I would group it, rather than have one single minimum:

- stuff you need to be able to send and receive IP packets at all
- stuff you need to be able to do IPSEC proof-of-who-you-are
- stuff you need to be able to get at configuration data
What specifically did you have in mind here? Couldn't this just be seen
as a subset of "stuff you need to be able to do function X" where X is
bound to "configuration?
certainly. I was casting about for things that could be separated into "base" functionality and be more specific (and therefore easier to make protocols for).

- stuff you need to be able to do function X
  (for instance, for mail you need your own email address(es), the 2
  servers, which probably means you want DNS because IP addresses are
  Just Too Ugly, a login identity for the servers, proof of that
  identity, authentication information for the servers (for MITM
  resistance).....?)

            jak