Re: Promoting the IETF meetings

Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu> writes:

> > It's not clear to me why it shouldn't, however. Surely a substantial
> > fraction of the secretariat's work is supporting the meetings and if
> > those meetings are smaller there should be less work.
>
> I think it makes almost no difference in terms of what the secretariat has
> to do if a meeting has 1000 or 2000 people - they basically have
> to order a different ammount of food - the work on the scheduling,
> rooms, hotel arangements, IESG/IAB breakfasts AV etc do not change

I think that depends how one defines "secretariat". A very substantial
fraction of our expenses is based on the "Indirect expenses" line
item.  As I understand the financials, those are billed out proportional
to the overall expenditures, which is dominated by the cost of
the meetings. Did I understand that incorrectly?

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr@rtfm.com]
                http://www.rtfm.com/