Re: Promoting the IETF meetings

--On tirsdag, februar 18, 2003 08:16:22 -0800 Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:

Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu> writes:

> It's not clear to me why it shouldn't, however. Surely a substantial
> fraction of the secretariat's work is supporting the meetings and if
> those meetings are smaller there should be less work.

I think it makes almost no difference in terms of what the secretariat
has to do if a meeting has 1000 or 2000 people - they basically have to
order a different ammount of food - the work on the scheduling, rooms,
hotel arangements, IESG/IAB breakfasts AV etc do not change
I think that depends how one defines "secretariat". A very substantial
fraction of our expenses is based on the "Indirect expenses" line
item.  As I understand the financials, those are billed out proportional
to the overall expenditures, which is dominated by the cost of
the meetings. Did I understand that incorrectly?
yes.

it was left unspecified how this number is calculated (because Al balked at making the exact percentage public) - it is calculated by Foretec by taking all the expenses accrued by Foretec in this category, and dividing it equally across the labor expense & some of the non-meeting expenses across all Foretec projects.

It is NOT calculated over the meeting costs, which are dominated by A/V, room rentals and food.

Harald