Re: 3180+3138+1918=>666

we seem to have data enough to send a note back to the RIRs saying that since nobody seems to want allocations out of this space, hanging out a sign saying "expect the first allocation to take a while" and defining the procedure when it arrives is the appropriate method.

If it's really that dead, we have bigger fish to fry.

Harald

--On 25. februar 2003 09:14 +0800 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

do we actualky want to pursue?

randy

---

From: David Meyer <dmm@sprint.net>
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: mboned wg <mboned@network-services.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: 3180+3138+1918=>666
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:15:06 -0800
and 3138 sez

3. Assignment Criteria

   Globally scoped IPv4 multicast addresses in the EGLOP space are
   assigned by a Regional Registry (RIR).  An applicant MUST, as
   per [IANA], show that the request cannot be satisfied using
   Administratively Scoped addressing [RFC2365], GLOP addressing
   [RFC2770], or SSM.  The fine-grained assignment policy is left
   to the assigning RIR.

the registries want to know how the heck do they know from what
part of 1918 space each of them should assign.
	The idea was to free up the part of the (sparsely
	allocated) GLOP space for those who needed more than a
	/24. I had begun work with Michelle and Miriam on this
	when demand seemed to have wained. We can pick this up if
	there is demand.

	Dave