Re: [Fwd: Re: Last Call: Multicast Router Discovery to Proposed Standard]

Hi Michelle,

The IANA has reviewed the following Internet-Draft which is in Last Call: <draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-10.txt>, and has the following comments with regards to the publication of this document:

Here is the IANA Considerations section with inline comments:

This document introduces three new IGMP messages. Each of these messages requires a new IGMP 'Type' value. This document requests IANA to assign three new IGMP 'Type' values to the Multicast Router Discovery protocol (for Advertisements, Solicitations, and Terminations). This seems OK. These registrations will be made in the following registry:

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/igmp-type-numbers>
IPv6 support requests the allocation of two new Neighbor Discovery Option Types to support the mandatory Multicast Router Discovery options (found in Sections 7.2 and 7.3).
We are not sure where the above registrations should go. Can we get
a clarification?
This standard requires two Neighbor Discovery Option Types assigned.
The rules for assigning these types are in section 5.6 of RFC
2780.

IPv4 support of this protocol requires the administration of the Multicast Router Discovery option space. This document requests that options be allocated using an IESG Approval or Standards Action processes. In addition, this document requests that the options defined, the Query Interval Advertisement option (Section 7.2) and the Robustness Variable Advertisement option (Section 7.3) be allocated the values specified in the respective sections.
This protocol also requests the creation of a new IANA registry to manage the Multicast Router Discovery Code Values for IPv4 support. New Code Values for the Multicast Router Discovery Type values are allocated using IESG Approval or Standards Action processes.
We understand a new registry for Multicast Router Discovery Code
Values for IPv4 support needs to be created. Are the above 2 paragraphs referring to the same registry. We see the TBDs in section 7.2 and 7.3 for the IPv6 types but no TBDs for IPv4 types.
Also, is there a range of values for this registry or is there
an infinite number? Please clarify.
You are correct.  The second paragraph is redundant.

For IPv4, the authors nominally selected values for the Option
types in sections 7.2 & 7.3.  Those values can be used or IANA can
assign different values if they choose.

Please respond to the IANA about our concerns with regards to this
document.  Failing to do so may cause delay of the approval and
publication of your document.
Let me know if you have further questions on this document.

Thanks!
Brian