Re: Updated Internet Draft draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-04.txt

  *> From housley@vigilsec.com  Mon Mar  3 12:09:16 2003
  *> Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:04:05 -0500
  *> To: Bob Braden <braden@ISI.EDU>
  *> From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
  *> Subject: Re: Updated Internet Draft draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-04.txt
  *> Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, iesg@ietf.org
  *>
  *> Bob:
  *>
  *> I think that section 1.3.1 should address submissions from the IRTF as well
  *> as submissions from the IETF and individuals.
  *>

Russ,

In the past, at least, the IRTF has considered itself to be a bunch of
[rugged?] individuals, so documents from research groups have been
treated as individual submissions (See RFC 2309 as an extreme example
of this; the individuals listed were actually the members of the
End-to-End Research Group at the time.)   The IRTF cannot create
standards-track documents and IRTF document do not originate within the
IESG, so they fall into individual submissions from the RFC Editor
viewpoint.

  *> Section 4 leads me to believe that the IANA Considerations are mandatory,
  *> but the checklist in Appendix C leads me to believe that the IANA
  *> Considerations are optional.  Please make this consistent.
  *>

Thanks, this is an error in the table.  Clearly, the IANA Considerations
section must be optional, since some (many) RFCs HAVE NO IANA considerations.

  *> You break your own rules by including a URL in the proposed RFC:
  *> http://www.rfc-editor.org  ;-)
  *>

I believe that if you read section 2.8 you will find that this
is not true.  References to official IETF/ISOC web sites are
considered stable for RFCs (it goes back to the "fate sharing"
principle of the Internet architecture!).

Thanks for your comments,

Bob Braden

  *>
  *> Russ