Re: Updated Internet Draft draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-04.txt

Bob:

*> I think that section 1.3.1 should address submissions from the IRTF as well
*> as submissions from the IETF and individuals.

In the past, at least, the IRTF has considered itself to be a bunch of
[rugged?] individuals, so documents from research groups have been
treated as individual submissions (See RFC 2309 as an extreme example
of this; the individuals listed were actually the members of the
End-to-End Research Group at the time.) The IRTF cannot create
standards-track documents and IRTF document do not originate within the
IESG, so they fall into individual submissions from the RFC Editor
viewpoint.
I do not believe that this has been consistent. Like may things, it has probably evolved over the years. Here are some examples that I know about.

RFC 1113 (and the RFCs that it obsoletes) - This was actually generated before the IRTF existed. The IAB Privacy Task Force became the Privacy and Security Research Group when the IRTF was formed.

RFC 1421 - This was a transition point from the IRTF to the IETF,

If the current practice for IRTF research groups to generate standards track documents via individual submissions, then that is fine with me. I do think that this practice should be included in this section of the document.

*> Section 4 leads me to believe that the IANA Considerations are mandatory,
*> but the checklist in Appendix C leads me to believe that the IANA
*> Considerations are optional. Please make this consistent.

Thanks, this is an error in the table. Clearly, the IANA Considerations
section must be optional, since some (many) RFCs HAVE NO IANA considerations.
Okay.

Russ