Re: WG Chairs Training

Regarding the naming of drafts - there is also the problem of someone
putting a working group name in the title and on the draft itself, yet
there has been no discussion with the WG on either the list or otherwise.
People sometimes assume that since this is "about" a topic that a WG is
managing then it is ok to say the draft is part of that WG.  When this new
draft is not on that WG's charter, life gets interesting.

                      Spencer Dawkins
                      <spencer_dawkins@        To:       Aaron Falk <falk@isi.edu>, Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com>
                      yahoo.com>               cc:       wgchairs@ietf.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: WG Chairs Training
                      owner-wgchairs@ie
                      tf.org

                      03/18/03 12:31 AM

It's probably worth mentioning that I see many working groups
that just kind of absorb individual drafts as working group
drafts, without the kind of major decision point, and discussion
of editor rights and responsibilities, that Margaret has in the
training material, and that Aaron is providing input on below.

And this unstudied absorbing is Not A Feature...

Spencer

p.s. a process nit, not a presentation nit - we're still
confused about whether draft-ietf-wgname draft names matter or
not. Steve Coya has been pointing out that there's no link
between a draft name and whether it's REALLY a working group
draft or not, in the working group chair training for multiple
years, but I'm hearing more reports of IESG and IAB members
basing the decision to look closely at a draft on the name, and
not on whether it's actually a working group draft or not.

We should be a lot clearer on whether we expect all working
group drafts to be explicitly named to reflect this or not.
IMHO, of course.

[deleted down to]