Re: WG Chairs Training

The issue in our case was a bit more interesting.  The draft name was
draft-author-xxxx-xxxx-01.txt.  All well and good and passes as an
individual document.  It's what was inside that got interesting.  the text
internally said it was part of the working group.  This is harder to catch.
The editor has just recently changed it to a be an individual submission.
It's too bad because it probably would be good for someone on our list to
review this person's draft since it "rides upon" one of the RFC's our group
created.  This one got really into the "grey" area.

                      Aaron Falk
                      <falk@isi.edu>           To:       pregen@egenconsulting.com
                                               cc:       wgchairs@ietf.org
                      03/18/03 02:01 PM        Subject:  Re: WG Chairs Training

pregen@egenconsulting.com wrote:

> Regarding the naming of drafts - there is also the problem of someone
> putting a working group name in the title and on the draft itself, yet
> there has been no discussion with the WG on either the list or otherwise.
> People sometimes assume that since this is "about" a topic that a WG is
> managing then it is ok to say the draft is part of that WG.  When this
new
> draft is not on that WG's charter, life gets interesting.

I believe the wg chair needs to approve any docs of the form
draft-ietf-wgname-xxx-00.  So, these docs shouldn't be surprises.  But
having the wg name in the filename can be helpful in allowing people
to find related work.  I find it useful to have non-wg drafts take the
format draft-author-wgname-xxx.  Note the lack of 'ietf' in the
filename.

--aaron