Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP, data, actors, and access

At 8:35 -0500 3/19/03, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
Oki all,

We have two distinct proposals for a specification of access, data, and
actors for EPP. External to EPP, but possibly relevant, is the existence
of WHOIS (954).
You are expressing a very detailed understanding of the problem. One of the issues I have with being this detailed is that it makes the chance of consensus less likely to achieve.

I can see the point that perhaps I want my telephone number to appear in WHOIS but not in DNS (to pick a perverse situation).

Let's do this as a first order approximation - is it possible to specify whether a data item (call it what you will) is not allowed to be repeated by the registry to any one other than the registrar that submitted it? Is this something that is common enough to be understood by all? Is this potentially sufficient to satisfy all people's needs here?

(Presuming the above meets with consensus, and then while sitting at proposed we discover that the mechanism is useless, dropping it or replacing it is always an option. At that time, we will be able to point to emperical evidence of the goodness/badness of it.)
Edward Lewis +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer