Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP, data, actors, and access

At 14:06 -0500 3/19/03, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
Ted,

 I think we have identified ways forward on this issue in this week ...
I've no idea what this means. We (possibly a different value of "we")
thought we were getting consensus around a proposal (<dcp> manditory),
some time prior to this week, e.g., last week.
We = some set of people. It's not important yet, what is important is whether or not the WG as a whole also agrees.

Let's not worry about the source of the proposal, let's worry about the quality of the proposal.

During the face to face meeting on Thursday, we will systemically not come to a conclusion. The best use of the time is as a "bull" session, to throw ideas back and forth for some amount of time (the amount given is a function of the relative usefulness of the conversation). At the end of the bull session, it will be the job of the chairs to prepare something to put in the list and to then begin the process of drafting an approach acceptable to the group as a whole.

Consensus is not achieved by voting, but by arriving at a set of statements that are acceptable to (nearly) all with a stake - WG members, IESG, and the silent masses following this work. Let's put it this way, if we want to rent a car, if 80% of the WG wants to require a red one and the other 20% wants blue, we'll settle on wanting to just rent a car.

As to timing of meetings, I don't attend meetings held in belligerant states
during periods of belligerency. It is dangerous, it requires acts of active
cooperation with the security regimes of the belligerant state(s), and is
an endorsement of belligerency. I'd rather not.
Absence is perfectly permissible, after all the IETF is a volunteer organization. The sentiment expressed is that it would have been keen to have you in attendance so that we could more quickly arrive at a common understanding of the problem. It is our fault if you feel the need to defend your choice not to travel. (I'm *not* going to define "our." ;))

Edward Lewis +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer