Re: Another process question

Bert,

only pieces of history I've got:
when we reclassified RFC 1137 to Historic ("not only useless, but dangerous"), we sent out a Last Call and no companion RFC.

When I was Apps AD, I got one protocol reclassified from Proposed to Informational because it turned out that only one place in the world used it, and nobody else wanted to keep it on stds-track; again, a Last Call and no companion RFC. (I've tried to search my memory to remember the protocol name... but I've failed.... I think the user was Mark <something> at the University of California and the usage was something to do with libraries - but I can't reconstruct it)

The good thing is that the overhead of those decisions was low.
The bad thing is that five years down the road, I have no record I can find and point to saying "this is why we did it".

If we had put justification of such decisions in Protocol Action announcements, and had archived these permanently and searchably, I wouldn't see a need for a documentation RFC.

Harald, his opinion