Re: [Fwd: GGF and IETF]

>IMO, we need to be paying more attention to GGF than perhaps we
>are. They are doing things that encroach on our space a bit I
>suspect. There is something called "grid FTP" for example. They are
>also assuming that we are doing some things they can leverage off of
>(security perhaps?). No doubt more communication is needed to level
>set and for a reality check. Or else we may wake up one day and see a
>fire burning that we have to deal with.

Yes, I agree completely.

Charlie has been around for some time - he approached ISOC in 99
over getting ISOC to align itself with the GGF in a similar vein to its
relationship with the IETF.

I'm not sure that "territory defence" is the best of motives to start up
a liaison (I'm not disputing its validity as a motive, just its relative
importance when considering a liaison)

Where there is a desire to use IETF protocols in a context where
extensions to the protocol are being contemplated, or where there
are new activity initiatives that touch upon the areas of both bodes,
hen in those cases a liaison is very worthwhile exercise.

So I've seen mention of 'grid ftp' so far, but it would be helpful to
understand a little more about the areas where there is intersection of
activity, or where there is proposed recycling / extension of
existing IETF protocols.

Geoff