Re: [Fwd: GGF and IETF]

> I'm not sure that "territory defence" is the best of motives to start up
> a liaison (I'm not disputing its validity as a motive, just its relative
> importance when considering a liaison)

Don't get me wrong. My motivation isn't just territory defense, and
I'm not sure a formal liaison is at all warranted. But I fear that by
not being aware of what they are doing (and vice versa) we will wake
up one day with a fairly big issue to deal with that would have been
much easier to deal with if we had seen it coming earlier.

Two groups working in isolation in areas that touch each other or
partially overlap is a good recipe for producing messes sometime down
the road.

Also, from what I understand of the GGF, they are modeling their
processes very much on the IETF. That is fine and good. At the same
time, they lack experience, history and tradition and hence even with
good intentions and a good model, they are bound to make mistakes.

So, I think it would be good for someone to have a look at what they
are doing, where their work might overlap with ours and try to assess
if there are areas we need to be coordinating a bit on.

Thomas