Preparing to close APEX.

Hi folks,
Ned and I have been talking with Pete Resnick, the chair
of APEX, about how to close the group. As many of you know,
the group had most of its docs published as RFCs some time
ago, but it has one trailing document, draft-ietf-apex-presence-06.txt.
This is currently in the RFC editor's queue. If I understand the
history right here, it is waiting for the publication of the drafts
in IMPP, because there is an implicit reference to the presence
model there. There are, in fact, no normative references in the document
itself to work due from IMPP, but there was a working group charter
item to create a CPIM compliant presence and IM system. As a result
of that implicit reference, it is being held.
The working group in question, however, is moribund. There
is no chance that Ned, Pete, or I can see that they will actually
produce against this charter item, as they are not working on the
question of IM (or indeed anything else). Further, the document
author for this, Graham Klyne, has lost his employment and is
not interested in working on an unfunded item at this point. Everyone
else has moved over to XMPP as a focus.
To clear this, Ned and I believe the right thing is to move this
document out from under the working group charter and make it
an individual submission, so that we can close the working group.
Perhaps more importantly, I'd like to suggest that we shift it from
being a proposed standard to being Experimental (since it will
not meet the charter item but does represent a piece of work that
the IESG of the time felt was sufficiently technically complete to
publish). That, I would suggest, means it could go forward out
of the queue, since the implicit reference would be gone.
Are there any objections to us taking this road forward?
Thanks for your comments,
Ted