Re: Another IESG Charter revision

--On mandag, april 07, 2003 13:31:39 -0400 Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> wrote:

7.1 Staff supervision

  The IETF Chair has primary responsibility for supervising the work of
  the IETF Executive Director and the IETF Secretariat, with the advice
  and consent of the IESG and the IAB.

again, are not iab chair and isoc vp stds co-equals here?

If this is documenting current reality, delete "and the IAB".
As it currently stands, the IAB is not participating (they
got the news re. Steve, for eg), and I argue the whole IAB
is not sufficiently informed to be participating (giving
advice & concent).  I'm not really sure it *should*, either.

But, agree that IAB Chair and perhaps ISOC VP Stds should
probably be added (to reflect current reality).
my current plan is that the IAB, the IESG and the ISOC leadership all are in the "advice and consent" part of the charter, and that the process document (once I get around to updating that) says that the IAB and the ISOC leadership channel their input through the IAB chair and one or both of (ISOC president, ISOC VP Standards).

I think of the advice and consent as "we do not blindside" - if the IAB, the IESG or ISOC is seriously surprised at something we do to or with the secretariat, we haven't done our job properly.

OTOH, we should be capable of ignoring their input when it's either uninformed or wrong .-)