RE: Last Call: Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record Types to Proposed Standard

> In my days with the IANA hat on I have not done a whole lot of work
> with RR assignments.  I belive RFC1035 defines the space, and I have
> also looked through a couple other RFCs but have not found concrete
> instructions to the IANA on how these get assigned.

RFC 2929.
Says that part of the RR type space is IETF consensus, part specification
required, and part private use.

Perhaps 2929 should have said standards action instead of IETF consensus
but in any case I think you've found a bug in the unknown-rrs IANA section -
the IANA can't enforce what it is requested to enforce for the private use
part of the space.

So presumably this should be clarified in the document.

  Erik